If you have a vagina, it’s time to learn what a pessary device is, their benefits and how to use one.
A pessary device is a soft, removable device that’s inserted into the vagina that can help treat symptoms related to urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse. Pessaries are a simple, non-invasive solution for these common conditions and have been gaining recognition for their remarkable impact on women’s lives.
What is a Pessary Device?
A pessary device is a medical device designed to support your pelvic organs. It’s typically a ring-shaped or oval device made of medical-grade silicone that’s inserted into the vagina. Once in place, the pessary ring provides essential support to your pelvic organs, helping to alleviate incontinence and pelvic prolapse symptoms.
Conditions Improved by Using a Pessary Device
Two conditions drastically improved by the use of a vaginal pessary are:
Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP):
Pelvic organ prolapse occurs when the pelvic floor muscles weaken, leading to the descent of pelvic organs like the bladder, uterus, or rectum into the vaginal wall. This condition can cause discomfort, pressure, and even pain. A pessary device helps lift and support these organs, reducing the symptoms of POP and improving the overall comfort of the patient.
Stress Urinary Incontinence (SUI):
Stress urinary incontinence is characterized by involuntary urine leakage during activities like coughing, sneezing, or exercising. It often results from weakened pelvic floor muscles. A vaginal pessary helps by supporting the urethra, preventing leaks, and allowing women to engage in daily activities with confidence and without embarrassment.
Benefits of a Pessary Device
- One of the most significant advantages of using a pessary device is that it is entirely non-invasive. Unlike surgical treatment options, there’s no need for incisions, anesthesia, or extended recovery periods. You can insert and remove the pessary device at home, making it a convenient and comfortable choice.
You Can Avoid Surgery:
- For many women, the thought of sling surgery, vaginal mesh surgery, or other surgical procedures related to urinary incontinence can be daunting. Pessaries offer an alternative that can effectively manage pelvic organ prolapse and stress urinary incontinence without the added risks of surgical procedures.
You Get A Customized Fitting:
- Pessaries come in various shapes and sizes to ensure a proper fit for each individual. Your healthcare provider can conduct a pessary fitting with you to help you select the right pessary device and provide guidance on safe insertion and removal.
What are the Disadvantages of Traditional Pessaries?
While traditional pessaries offer a non-surgical approach to managing urinary incontinence, they come with certain drawbacks. Here’s what you need to consider:
You Need a Prescription to Get One:
- To get a traditional pessary ring, you need a prescription from a healthcare provider since they require a professional fitting. It can take multiple fittings to find the right size to effectively address your condition.
Expect Lengthy Waitlists:
- Scheduling a doctor’s appointment for a prescription pessary can be a time-consuming process, and you should expect a wait.
Pessary Fittings Can Be Uncomfortable:
- The pessary fitting process, typically conducted by a physician, may not always be a comfortable experience. It can take multiple attempts to find the right pessary for your unique needs.
Finding the Right Fit:
- Many women try several types of pessaries before they find a suitable fit. This often means multiple visits to your healthcare providers. Also, as your body undergoes hormonal changes through pregnancy, aging, or weight fluctuations, a previously effective pessary might become inadequate and require another pessary fitting.
Insertion and Removal Challenges:
- Traditional pessaries have seen limited innovation over the years, making it challenging for many women to manage them independently. This difficulty often leads to women discontinuing the use of their pessary use. A clinical study by the Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada found that only 55% of women continued pessary use after six months, with just 16% continuing after one year.
After 2 kids and trying so many pelvic floor exercises, it just wasn’t enough. This has helped me regain confidence and I am able to go for a run, laugh with my friends, run around with my kids and dog without any fear of accidents. Most important thing I ever bought.
The Uresta Pessary Advantage
Below are a few reasons why Uresta differs from traditional prescription pessaries and why you’re more likely to continue using your Uresta pessary vs. one fitted by a physician.
Uresta is Self-managed:
- The Uresta pessary is the only available over-the-counter pessary in Canada. This means you don’t have to go to a doctor to get fitted or for upkeep.
We Have Multiple Sizing Options Available:
- We offer five different sizes to help find the perfect fit for you without needing a formal pessary fitting. You can try our Uresta Start Kit in the comfort of your home without the pressure of a physician fitting.
No Long Waitlists and No Prescription:
- Uresta ships in 3-5 business days, so that you can avoid long wait lists for physician appointments. While our products are often covered by insurance, you don’t need a prescription to get your Uresta pessary device.
Easy insertion and removal:
- The Uresta pessary device has a small handle for easy insertion and removal. Also, the device sits much lower down in the vagina than a traditional pessary device, making it easier to insert and remove. In a recent clinical study, 90% of women continued to use their Uresta pessary after 12 months (much higher than 16% for traditional pessaries), due to its effectiveness and ease of use.
- Often, women find traditional pessaries don’t provide effective support for all daily activities, particularly during intense moments or exercise. With Uresta, you can easily switch between sizes depending on your unique needs. For example, many women opt for the larger Uresta pessary size during high-intensity workouts.
Why Choose Uresta?
Uresta’s pessary device has been clinically proven to reduce symptoms associated with stress urinary incontinence. It’s also a safe, simple, and effective long-term solution that won’t worsen your incontinence symptoms or cause your pelvic floor muscles. We have extensive support from pelvic floor physiotherapists who believe Uresta is an excellent complement to physiotherapy as it can provide immediate relief from bladder leaks while you work on strengthening your pelvic floor and regain control of your life without surgery.
If you’re dealing with symptoms associated with urinary incontinence, remember that you’re not alone! Uresta offers a safe and effective option to support your well-being.
Is Uresta right for you? Take our Free Assessment to find out!